Don’t they look like nice and good these chards? This beautiful green and red. I could not resist as soon as I saw them at the farm. We name them bette in french. I remembered a day at my grand mother when I was a child. I was eating at her and asked what we will have for lunch and she answered me:
« des bettes »
but actually bette sounds like bete (beast). At that time I was much more familiar with the world of insects than with the one of vegetables. My first reaction was to wonder why we were eating spiders or cockroaches.
It is also like that dinner last year. I was cleaning some topinambours (Jerusalem artichokes). Jack as always was observing me busy in the kitchen. He started that period of passion for dinosaur. He looked at the Jerusalem artichoke and told me
« mamaaaaaan!! regardeee des pieds de dinosaures » (mummy, look! it is some dinosaurs feet)
Since then I always think about that when I get some Jerusalem artichoke.
After Christmas, New year’s eve and all dinners we had around, I needed a break with a lot of vegetables, simply prepare and cooked. Just dress up with lemon juice and olive oil.
Chard with lemon and olive oil
Quantities will depend on your appetite and taste
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Clean the beets: Cut off ends of stems and wash thoroughly in cold water. Drain.
- Cook the chards in a high pan.
- Season the chard with lemon juice and olive oil. Add salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Bettes au citron et huile d’olive
les quantités variant selon votre appétit et gout
- huile d’olive
- sel et poivre
- Nettoyer les bettes: couper l’extrémité des tiges et les laver abondamment dans l’eau froide. Egoutter.
- Les cuire dans un fait tout.
- Assaisonner les bettes avec du jus de citron et de l’huile d’olive. Saler, poivrer et servir aussitot.
Bietole con limone e olio d’oliva
gli ingredienti a seconda del vostro appetito e gusto
- olio d’oliva
- Sale e pepe
- Pulire le bietole: Tagliate le estremità dei gambi e lavare accuratamente con acqua fredda . Scolare.
- Cuocere in una pentola.
- Condire le bietole con succo di limone e olio d’oliva. Aggiungere sale e pepe e servire immediatamente.